Aprémont German Military Cemetery was created by them at the beginning of November 1915. It now contains the bodies of 1 111 German war-dead.
It was still being used right up until the final evacuation of German troops from the area in October 1918.
Many of those who fought here were from the Landwehr - made up of older soldiers from the reserves and there is a small monument to the 27th Landwehr Infantry regiment.
Amongst the black iron crosses is the occasional headstone of a Jewish soldier.
The closeness of the woodlands and the numerous ravines meant that the artillery duels which had taken place elsewhere along the front were not feasible in the area.
Instead, both sides resorted to the use of mining and mine warfare the results of which can be readily seen at the Butte de Vauquois.
The cemetery was the only one in the Argonne Forest which was almost completed before the collapse of the German Mark and the outbreak of the Second World War.
The metal crosses, though, were not finally placed until after the cessation of hostilities and an agreement had been reached between France and Germany concerning German War Cemeteries on French soil.