Not far from the American Meuse-Argonne Cemetery is this small German Military Cemetery containing the graves of 1 412 German and 4 French Soldiers.
Created by the Germans next to the local village cemetery, construction of the cemetery had begun at the very beginning of the war in August 1914 following heavy fighting in the area.
A number of Military Hospitals were set up nearby, all of which needed a suitable burial ground.
As the war continued the number of graves increased and the cemetery contains the graves of many of those who were killed in the fighting on the Butte de Vauquois during the months of mining warfare, and also from the struggles for Hill 304 and Dead Man's Hill on the West Bank of the Verdun Battlefield.
The main entrance consists of a small leafy glade leading through an entrance gate into the field.
Romagne sous Montfaucon is one of the few German First World War cemeteries which was nearly completely finished between the wars. Most of the cemeteries were left in a very basic shape due to the collapse in the value of the Mark and the shortage of foreign exchange brought the work to a halt in the Thirties.
The provisional wooden crosses have now been replaced by slate crosses in a slightly different style to those usually seen.
There are a number of individual monuments and original grave stones in the cemetery.