Cambrin is a village about 24 kilometres north of Arras and 8 kilometres east of Béthune on the road to La Bassée. The Cemetery is on the north side of the road and is approached by a path from the main road.
The village is noted for its Statue of Liberty War Memorial. Turn down behind it to visit the Churchyard Cemetery.
For the Military Cemetery go back up the hill along the main road a few hundred metres. It is sign posted up an alleyway behind the café.
At one time, the village of Cambrin housed brigade headquarters but until the end of the First World War, it was only about 800 metres from the front line trenches.
The village contains two cemeteries used for Commonwealth burials; the churchyard extension, taken over from French troops in May 1915, and the Military Cemetery behind the Mayor’s House.
The churchyard extension was used for front line burials until February 1917 when it was closed, but there are three graves of 1918 in the back rows.
The extension is remarkable for the very large numbers of graves grouped by battalion, the most striking being the 79 graves of the 2nd Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders and 15 of the 1st Cameronians (Row C), the 35 of the 2nd Royal Welch Fusiliers and 115 of the 1st Middlesex (Row H), all dating from 25 September 1915, the first day of the Battle of Loos.
Cambrin Churchyard Extension contains 1,211 Commonwealth burials of the First World War.
There are also 98 French war graves and a few of other nationalities.
The cemetery was designed by Charles Holden.
|Captain George Thomas
2nd Bn Royal Welsh Fusiliers
Died on 26th September 1915 aged 31
Son of Mrs George Thomas,
of 610 Clive Court Maida Vale and the late George Thomas
(of Messrs J Thomas and Co. Calcutta).
|Captain J A Childe-Freeman MC
2nd Bn Royal Welsh Fusiliers
Died on 25th September 1915 aged 25
Brother of Mrs Olive Palmer
of Park Gate, Guiseley, Leeds
|Grave: K 21||Grave: K 22|
Private Eugène de la Haye Duponsel G/4387
2nd Bn The Queen’s
Royal West Surrey Regiment
Died 3rd October 1915 aged 26 Son of Gaston de la Haye Duponsel and Marie Rozan, his wife
In Buenos Ayres when war broke out. Voluntarily left for England to enlist. Born at Mauritius
Pour la France
Seigneur ayez pitié de lui
According to Le Parisien of the 3rd May 1916 : young Eugène enlisted in the British Army to go and fight for France. On leaving his home he asked his father, in the event of his death, to send his cherished violin to the Paris Conservatory. He wanted somebody who could not afford an instrument to have the chance of using it.
On Eugène’s death in October the father duly sent the violin to the French Consul in London. He in turn contacted Gabriel Fauré (The composer) the Director of the Conservatoire.
The violin was subjected to its own adventures when on the 24th March 1916 the French passenger ferry Sussex which was transporting it to France was torpedoed in the Channel by the German submarine UB-29. Although badly holed the Sussex managed to limp into Boulogne and the violin continued its journey to Paris.
About eighty people lost their lives including the Spanish composer Enrique Granados and his wife. She had fallen into the water and he jumped out of his lifeboat to save her but drowned with her. The attack on the boat caused a diplomatic row between Germany and the United States.
Grave: B 1
Lieutenant George Smith
2nd Bn Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders
Died 25th September 1915 aged 21
Son of George Smith
of 145 Hyndland Rd Glasgow
Member of Glasgow University OTC
Gazetted 15th August 1914
Grave: B 22
Captain The Hon Ernest Brabazon DSO
Staff Captain 4th Guards’ Brigade
Died on 17th June 1915 aged 31
Son of the Earl and Countess of Meath
Grave: E 37
Major William Hosley
6th Bn King’s Own Scottish Borderers
Died on 25th September 1915
Son of William and Emma Hosley
of Saffron Walden
Served in West Africa