Following the more intimate ceremony at Quarry Cemetery in the morning a large parade was scheduled in the afternoon from the centre of Auchy-les-Mines to the memorial to the 46th (North Midland) Division near the site of the Hohenzollern Redoubt.
Led by the town band, local association banners and the civic dignitaries the first section of the parade was followed by the Pipes and Drums of the Royal Regiment of Scotland, members of the Black Watch (3 SCOTS) and Mercian Regiment plus numerous regimental associations.
Takes a moment to load — you may need to refresh this page
Having passed through the former mining estates the parade gathered at the Hohenzollern monument, forming up on a section of field that was now clinging mud. Even within a few paces the participants began to realise what it might have been like in the pouring rain and covered in the stuff.
Gathering around the small enclosure the crowd witnessed the unveiling of a new plaque dedicated to Major General George Thesiger, commanding 9th (Scottish) Division and Captain Fergus Bowes-Lyon of the 1/8th Black Watch who were both killed in the vicinity on the 26th and 27th September 1915.
Following the laying of wreaths, Last Post and a lament, the parade retraced its steps as far as the Auchy Sports Centre where the Maire, Madame Joëlle Fontaine offered the gathering refreshments.
Speeches were made, children sang and the afternoon was brought to a suitable close by the Black Watch musicians.
Takes a moment to load — Scots at heart ?
Takes a moment to load